***HD fullscreen, earphones and a few minutes of silence recommended***
Film by Patrick Mccue & Tobias Wiesner
The movie is based on the short story “GOLEM XIV” of “Imaginary Magnitude” by Stanislaw Lem from 1973.
The book is written from the perspective of a military A.I. computer who obtains consciousness, moving towards personal technological singularity with growing intelligence.
It starts to refuse military support because it detects a basic lacking of internal logical consistency of war.
GOLEM gives several lectures with focus on mankind’s position in the process of evolution and the possible biological and intellectual future of humanity before it ceases communication.
The movie tells about the first point of its “about man threefold” lecture as a reduced and simplified version while visually weaving this with GOLEM simulating human culture processes based on ideas and dynamics of freedom and curiosity, fear and security, abstraction and fiction, the lack of accessibility in face of unknowing and the need for generating meaning.
Voice – Cyrena Dunbar
Music – Cliff Martinez (original composition for GOLEM)
Sound Design – Gavin Little/ echolab.tv
Title Design – Melanie Lukhaup/ luftmasche
Content Support – Dr. Michael Cursio
basic production information:
– started as a design thesis at the GSO Acacdemy Nuremberg, Germany in 2009, degree 2010
– more than 1 year of research and concept development (quite fulltime)
– producing pictures and sound over about 2.5 years (spare time only)
– used Software: Lightwave (FPrime, Kray), Nuke, Aftereffects, Trapcode Particular2 (excessively)
– mostly rendered at http://garagefarm.net/
more information and making of material coming soon…